Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Man Of Steel Trailer - An Audience's Reaction


By: Chris "Sledge" Douglas

We've all seen this by now... this absolutely gorgeous trailer, that may well be the BEST trailer for any movie I've ever seen.

Let me go into this a bit before I do what I came here to do... and that's talk about the amazing reaction of my local theater's audience.

First, what I love about the trailer:

I love the music, first and foremost. the very humble piano during his childhood, the swelling as we see him get older, and finally the GLORIOUS symphonic rock out as he finally starts flying around punching things! Hans Zimmer has once again outdone himself here, as he did with his previous work on The Dark Knight series.

I also love how the trailer helps ground our expectations from the beginning, slowly leading to an amazing "wow," reaction once he's finally ready to go be Superman.

Now, for the meat 'n potatoes of this article. The audience reaction.

I've gone from being a regular movie-goer, to only going once in a while, because I'm just not interested in most of what Hollywood is offering recently. However, as I am now writing reviews, I've been going to the theater quite frequently. In short, I've been to four showings that each had this trailer.

Now, of course, the audience tends to still be talkative at this point. Either people are still having conversations, or they're talking to their viewing partners with the usual, "what is this? Who is that?" kind of conversations.

However, I've noticed something VERY interesting about my local theater's reaction to this one trailer. Silence.

Complete and utter silence. A smattering of "wow" here and there, but for each of the showings I've seen this trailer, people go from chatty to reverent silence in seconds as soon as we see the opening images of this trailer.

Well done, Nolan, Snyder, and Zimmer. Well done indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment