Saturday 15 November 2014

Plastique - The Flash Episode Review


By Chris "Sledge" Douglas

Note:  There WILL be some spoilers.  So if you haven't yet seen the episode (and by god what's wrong with you if that's the case?) then tread carefully.





As this is the first episode of this show that I'm reviewing, I gotta say that I LOVE this show. It's such a departure from Arrow, and even though I love that show too, the tone really fits the personality of the Flash. I dig what they're doing with Barry's relationship with his foster father Joe West (and for god's sake, someone give this guy an Emmy, I don't think I've seen such a great father-son dynamic on a comic book based work in a VERY long time. Not to mention I really want to see where they take things with Dr. Wells.

Ok... opinion catch-up time is over. Now on to this past week's episode, "Plastique."

So the freak of the week this time is a woman who can create explosives just by touching things. She is being hunted by the General Eiling and the millitary, who want her as a human weapon, a "human bomb" if you will.  She is taken to Star Labs to see if she can be fixed and, surprise surprise, it's a no go.   Also, Iris has now put her name on her blog, and Barry and Joe (rightfully) fear for her safety.  So Iris and Flash meet for the "first" time, and she still refuses to stop.  Barry insists they don't see each other anymore.



Dr. Wells moments:
There are actually two of them in this episode, and one of them involves a MAJOR Flash baddie.

- Dr. Wells has another one of his creepy moments as he convinces Plastique to take out Eiling.  This of course does not succeed, in no small part due to the titular Flash.  It's another one of those, "I guess it's understandable, but it certainly is not heroic" moments.


- GRODD.  YES! We finally see Grodd, a gorilla alluded to in the pilot, and perhaps one of the Flash's most well-known adversaries.  Apparently, Grodd had been on the receiving end of some experimentation by Eiling and Wells, and in a FLASHback (get it? GET IT????) Wells, in no uncertain terms, tells Eiling to shove off.  We see Wells here acting in defense of the as-of-yet poor animal, and it seems to at least balance out some of the shadier things Wells has said and done, but we all know how this will turn out.


So far there has not been a bad episode (though I think the Multiplex episode has been the weakest relatively, with the exception of the Barry - Joe moments.  I still think Iris reminds me a bit too much of early season 1 Laurel from Arrow, and her smile-cry is a bit off-putting, as that always is for me.

Regardless, perhaps the strongest episode for me so far.  What do YOU think?


0 comments:

Post a Comment