Tuesday 24 September 2013

TV Review - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Episode 1


Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Produced By: ABC Studios
By: Chris "Sledge" Douglas



So tonight was the night for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to come to TV... and how was it?

Well, prepare for some spoilers!




"Pilot" - September 24, 2013


Story:
First things first, I LOVE the focus on the agency and the everyday people just trying to cope with the new world they're living in. I am completely intrigued on how normal people live in a world with superheroes. It's a hell of a great idea to explore.

Another really great facet is how they approached Mike, the new "hero."  Living in a world where nordic gods, aliens, and radioactive monsters are real and confirmed must be tough for many.  And we can see exactly how tough it is for this character.  Driven to the breaking point by his injuries and subsequent lack of work, he is fitted with a device that gives him super strength.  However, it appears to also have some effects of the Extremis treatment last seen in Iron Man 3.  It's an intriguing story of someone attempting to do right trying to be a hero, but really potentially hurting things for everybody else around him, perhaps literally.

Another important point...  all the agents come across as being very competent in what they do, which is great for a pilot episode as it's our introduction to these characters.  I think Whedon and crew did an excellent job in both choosing to create brand new characters for the show (as far as I know... I didn't recognize any of their names).

Speaking of the agents, I really enjoyed Colbie Smother's return to the Maria Hill role.    She was one of my favorite parts of the Avengers that wasn't established previously. And here, she channels that same aloof awesomeness.  Also, she looks very different with that hair.  And that's FINE.

Finally, I have something HUGE to say.  I'm going to go someplace I never thought I would.  Normally I wouldn't say this about another man, being a reasonably heterosexual one, but Coulson is adorable.  That's it.  He is.  Clark Gregg gives a fantastic performance in this episode, and is utterly enjoyable to watch.  His death fake out was hinted to in Avengers, with the whole "his cards were in his locker" thing, but they did really well in explaining what they did.

Well, make that an almost explanation.  Again, major spoilers here, but what are they hinting at with the whole, "he doesn't know does he? He can never know" exchange.  Looking forward to seeing where this leads.

Oh yeah.  The famous Whedon snarkiness is definitely there. Too many instances to quote.   But I didn't think it was a problem.

Overall, I thought this was a FANTASTIC first showing.  It didn't have the same oomph as Avengers, but it didn't need to.  I'm genuinely curious to see what happens next.



Other Notes:

- Good to see Firefly's Book is still working.

- Can we be done with the computer whiz trope? It's really really old by now.

- Lola!

- New Mexico, Project Pegasus... I wonder how deep they'll be going.

 - Journey into Mystery reference!




Notable Quotables (ugh, I may have to revise that title):

 - "It means someone really wanted to spell the word SHIELD"

- "This is where they MAKE the red tape, isn't it?"


0 comments:

Post a Comment