Tuesday 1 October 2013

J.J, Abrams APOLOGIZES for Overuse of Lens Flares???



JJ Abrams. Lens flares. We get it. It's been criticized so often its pop culture staple. But I don't need to tell you that. You knew that already.

... But apparently, so did JJ himself.



Now, don't get me wrong. Overall, I like the new Star Trek series just fine. In fact, you can see my review for Into Darkness right here, and I think that I went relatively soft on it.

But seriously... the lens flare was ridiculous. And apparently, his wife thought so as well. According to Crave Online:


I know I get a lot of grief for that. But I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool ... with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now. I was showing my wife an early cut of 'Star Trek Into Darkness' and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.'

That's fine, and I always like it when creators see the errors of their ways, UNLIKE SOME. However, I was most struck by this quote from io9.com back in 2009:

I wanted a visual system that felt unique.

Well, JJ, boy howdy did you PICK THE WRONG ONE. NOTHING is LESS unique in digital visual media than F'ING LENS FLARES.

0 comments:

Post a Comment